Win Audio to DENON X330 doesn't works correctly -> NO TrueHD / Dolby Atmos
Hello everyone,

please bear with me. This is my first post. I've been using a HiMedia Q5 Pro for years and used the internal player with a wrapper. The sound was always transmitted perfectly to the LG TV or the DENON X3300 including TrueHD and Dolby Atmos.

Here is my constellation:

Kodi via HDMI -> DENON X3300 via HDMI -> LG TV

If the DENON is on, the sound signal from the movie RAW is forwarded from Kodi or the internal player of the HiMedia Q5 Pro to the DENON. If the DENON is off, the signal is looped through to the TV and still arrives there properly. I have now switched to Windows 11 and Kodi version 20.5 is running there. If the DENON is off, the sound is passed through to the TV properly. However, when the DENON is on, it no longer says TrueHD or similar, but STEREO. How can I get the KODI to pass the sound formats on to the DENON properly? Do I still have to install CODECS? Or change something in the config?

Thank you very much in advance for your effort and help.

Ronny Wink
I haven't had time to look more closely at the Kodi settings yet. BUT: Since I already have a Jellyfin server running in the Proxmox LXC container at home anyway, I thought I'd try it out on the mini PC. Conclusion: The sound signals are passed on correctly to the DENON.

TrueHD remains TrueHD. DTS and DTS-HA also arrive. Conclusion 2: It's not the Mini PC, not the cables, not the DENON. So now I know it can only be the KODI. I will (have to) take another closer look here. Or I'll keep running Jellyfin Wink, because it works there.

This also serves as information for all others who are reading along and looking for help.
Would need a log with debug turned on to be sure of what happens (once with receiver once with direct TV connection).
Until then I can only guess a sound output selection in Kodi and something like Windows presenting the output with a different name when plugged in the receiver or the TV.
When the configured sound output is not found in the system, Kodi will default to another output, which is usually DirectSound (no HD format passthrough)

"WASAPI default" should work unless you have a complicated situation.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hello CrystaIP,

thank you for your help. Here my configurations:

OLD
HiMedia Q5 Pro -> AVR DENON X3300 -> LG TV
I used Kodi with the Wrapper, so Kodi played with internal player of the Q5 Pro -> all formats were played and when the DENON was on, the correct audio format was shown

NEW
Win 11 Mini PC ->AVR DENON X3300 -> LG TV
I use Kodi build in player. The Denon shows only Stereo and only Stereo will be played. I tried WASAPI, DirectSound. But it doesn't works. I changed to WASAPI and Passthrough, but it also doesn't works and the audio was falters now.

Variant 1 (AVR off, signal only looped through)

- Film audio DTS-HA
-> via Himedia Q5 Pro -> TV sound comes in
-> via Kodi on Mini PC -> TV sound comes in
-> via Jellyfin on Mini PC -> TV sound comes in

Variant 2 (AVR on, sound signal from player to AVR / no sound via TV):
-> Himedia Q5 Pro -> DTS-HA displayed on AVR and sounds the same
-> via Kodi on Mini PC -> stereo displayed on AVR and sounds the same
-> Jellyfin on Mini PC -> DTS-HA displayed on AVR and sounds the same

The same with DTS, Dolby Surround, etc. , when I use Jellyfin. What is available as the source format is also displayed on the AVR. But not with KODI.

I think I will stay at my existing Jellyfin Server. Here I haven't any problems.

Nevertheless thank you for your help and the time you invested.
it's up to you. The logs would show what Kodi sees and what's going wrong.
The Denon probably changes something in the EDID (off = forwards TV capabilities, on = overrides with its own capabilities).  Do you turn the receiver on/off while Kodi is running or while Kodi is stopped?
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Quote:Do you turn the receiver on/off while Kodi is running or while Kodi is stopped?
Not normally. I will try to switch on the DENON AVR and then start Kodi.
Quote:The logs would show what Kodi sees and what's going wrong
I will also try to provide you with the log files to help the developers (including you). Please give me some time. Are there any shortcuts to start the log? I am using an Orbsmart W1.

Thank you again for your help and support.  Wink

Ronny
There is an addon that can help with the log upload if you want (Kodi Logfile Uploader), other than that not that I'm aware of. Go to the settings to turn on the debug level for the log and restart Kodi so entire sessions are captured.
Hello CrystalIP.

Thank again for supporting me. Now I started the DENON first and then KODI. The DENON now shows MultiIN. I can only guest, if the source audio will be played correctly.

When play a film with JELLYFIN and Dolby Atmos AND the DENON is power OFF, the LG TV shows Dolby Atmos. If I use KODI, there is no information "Dolby Atmos". I will testing a little more, but it is a big step forward.  Smile
Hello @CrydtalIP.

Enclosed are the logs. I hope I have done everything correctly. One bug now is that Kodi is not looping the Dolby Atmos through to the TV when the AVR is off. The rest seems to work Wink

Log 1 with AVR

Log 2 with AVR first on

Log 3 without AVR
Your last comments are not very clear and sound like the opposite as your first message (ok with receiver on, not with receiver off)

First and second log: Kodi opens the audio output exactly the same way and it looks like multichannel playback.
Last log: incomplete or you didn't play anything.

There is a small difference with the receiver turned off or out of the loop:

m_sampleRates : 192000,96000,48000,44100,32000

and receiver turned on (a few additional rates):

m_sampleRates : 192000,176400,96000,88200,48000,44100,32000

Could you post screenshots of your Kodi audio settings.
Hello CrystalIP,

I will make a new logfile and screenshots until. Thuesday.

Thanks a lot for helping me, AGAIN ;-)
Make sure you have setting "Sync playback to display" OFF

Thumbs Up 
Hello @CrystalIP and @jogal.

Many, many thank for your help. Now it works perfect. I diabled the sync option, as jogal recommend. Now it is displayed "Dolby ATMOS" on TV, when the DENON is switched OFF. And also it works, when the DENON is ON. Now it shows correctly DTS, or Dolby ATMOS, DTS HD and so on, and not anymore MULTI in.

I hope this helps also other users with simmular problems. Kudos for your expertise and effort. Big Grin

Can you mark this thread as solved?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio to DENON X330 doesn't works correctly -> NO TrueHD / Dolby Atmos0