Live TV for HD channels stutters - pauses every few seconds
This is a re-opening of my old Thread from 2019. I had this problem already in 2019 and stopped using Kodi since then.
Now I hoped that in Version 20.0.0 this problem would be fixed but it is still there.

When watching any High Definition Channel it stutters though I have a good connection.
With stuttering I mean that every few seconds a small Watch appears on the screen and counts for some seconds while the TV channel pauses.
It is completely unusable ! The problem is with all HD channels.
I can watch recorded HD films without any problem. I can even watch the intermediate stream files (the ts file or the remuxed wtv file) without any problem.
When I watch the live TV on the same machine where serverwmc runs there is also no problem. Only with remote machines.
The problem started with Kodi 18 Alpha. In Kodi 16 everything worked perfectly.

I tried it on all my 3 windows PCs and installed the same Version of Kodi 20.0.0 and have on all PCs the same problem.
All my PCs are on Windows 11 with latest Updates installed.
All non HD channels run smoothly without any problems !!

The Backend is always on the same Windows 11 PC (all Updates installed) with serverwmc Version 1.0.0.63 build 1260.

Attached is the Trace where I watched a High Definition Channel for half a minute.
https://pastebin.com/raw/YgLvqD8b

Many thanks for your help.
Martin Klein
what is that log from? its not from kodi....

its not showing why kodi is failing to play something its just enough information to show what is being delivered to kodi....
It's a serverwmc log.  Martin, can you show me the beginning part of the serverwmc log so that I can see how you have it configured?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Many thanks and sorry to both of you !

This is now the complete serverwmc log as you requested from yesterdays session:
Complete Serverwmc Log

And here comes yesterdays Kodi Log:
Kodi Log from yesterdays session

Regards. Martin
Code:
New client connected: client: 'Kodi^OpenELEC'
Eek OpenELEC was discontinued some 8 years ago.

(2023-02-12, 09:31)martin.klein Wrote: And here comes yesterdays Kodi Log:
Kindly first remove ALL the orange-colored piracy crap from your Kodi setup before we resume support as per our very clear piracy policy (wiki).
Thanks Klojum and sorry for this. I removed now all Addons which produced the orange-colored lines in the log.
I tried again to stream live tv from "3sat" which is a HD channel. Unfortunately again stutters every 2 or 3 seconds.
Please find the Kodi Log below. Now I have only white and yellow lines.  Angel
Kodi Log from todays new session

And please find the associated serverwmc log:
Log from serverwmc

AND today I switched off my VERY OLD kitchen Raspi with the VERY OLD Openelec which connected at the previous session and you saw on the log.

By the way if this helps: My Client is a Microsoft Surface Pro 8 (11th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 8GB RAM) connected via a quick WLAN (802.11ac 5 GHz 866/650 Mbps) to the Server which is a INTEL NUC11PAHi3 (Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 Processor @ 3 GHz 16GB RAM).
I have no problem at all to watch recorded HD Videos and I can even watch the intermediate stream files (the ts file or the remuxed wtv file) without any problem.
I tried of course also to connect the Surface with LAN cable directly connected to the router but this does not improve the stuttering of live TV.

Kind regards. Martin
Yeah, this is strange.  Swmc seems to think everything is fine.  Since you have it configured so that it is remuxing and sending ts files even when just watching a recorded show - and since you report no streaming problem with hd recordings - its hard to see why live tv would have a problem since they are largely the same.  What happens if you try to watch remotely a recording while it is being recorded?
I recorded a stuttering HD channel und at the same time watched the intermediate WTV file and
Wow yes - that works without any stutter - but unfortunately it stops after some seconds...

Kind regards. Martin
By the way I have an old kitchen Raspi which is on LibreElec (not OpenElec) and runs Kodi18.9.
I use it only to listen radio but today i attached a large screen and tried Live TV. And there it works !! No stuttering in HD channels !
It is attached to the same WLAN router and the same Server as my Microsoft Surface.
The Addon "PVR WMC Client" is on Version 2.4.6.1

So I tried with my Raspi 400 which has Raspi OS Bullseye and Kodi Version 19.4 installed as an App. The Media Center Addon there is Version 19.02.
Connected to same WLAN router and same Server and there HD live channels stutter again.

Strange it is...
Kind regards Martin
I wanted you to watch the active recording using the NORMAL playback mode of swmc, where it always streams the ts file.  What happens in this case?

Also, please clarify: are of these machines connected wirelessly?
First of all - yes - I run this Wireless. But tried it also with LAN cable without improvement.
What do you mean with "NORMAL playback mode of swmc" ? You want me to play the ts file while recording . But this is not visible under Video and Files. I see only the wtv file

Regards Martin
I mean that I want you to play the file from the live-tv interface in Kodi, that's the NORMAL way.  You access it from kodi by going to LiveTV->Recordings (although these names can vary slightly depending on the version/skin).  In this view all you see is the name of the show, not whether it is a wtv file or ts file.  Please don't use video->files while we are trying to debug this.
Thanks - ok I found the recording and it plays without any problems.

Kind regards. Martin
Just to be clear:  I requested that you play a show from one of your remote systems while it is in the process of being recorded, is this what "plays without any problems"?
Ah ok - got it ! So I now started on my Surface Client the HD channel "3sat" and it stuttered as usual.
Then I went to my other Windows 11 Computer which has the same Kodi 20.0 installed connected also to the same WLAN router and the same Server and where Live TV always stutters also on HD channels. But now I went to "Video" and "Files" and found the .ts file in the TEMPSWMC folder of "Recorded TV". Started it and voala ! No stuttering at all while still on my Surface Client the same Live Video was stuttering !

With kind regards
Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV for HD channels stutters - pauses every few seconds0