Solved LG WebOS 6 and Kodi
Hi everyone,
I know this is not the right place to ask for help but I couldn't find any solution.
I just bought a new smart tv with the LG WebOS 6.
I want to connect my raspberry with Kodi to the tv through UPnP/DLNA.
I activated the UPnP on Kodi but I don't know how to make the tv "see" the kodi device.
In previous WebOS versions it was pretty simple (as I saw on youtube) but now the interface is completely different and I can't find any way to do this.
Has anyone had the same problem?

Thank you.
(2021-12-19, 00:32)NathanDrake Wrote: I know this is not the right place to ask for help but I couldn't find any solution.
but I don't know how to make the tv "see" the kodi device.

If Kodi is set up and enabled correctly for UPnP/DLNA, reading the TV's manual is usually a good second action point. Searching in Google and Youtube come in as a close third option.
Thread moved to other support as it has nothing to do with iOS or tvOS.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-12-19, 05:07)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-12-19, 00:32)NathanDrake Wrote: I know this is not the right place to ask for help but I couldn't find any solution.
but I don't know how to make the tv "see" the kodi device.

If Kodi is set up and enabled correctly for UPnP/DLNA, reading the TV's manual is usually a good second action point. Searching in Google and Youtube come in as a close third option.
Of course, I already did both as I said in the question. I couldn't find any solution anywhere (implicitly on the web). TV's manual has little to no information about this issue and the version I'm talking about is too recent. There is very little information on the internet. Any videos or guides you find refer to earlier versions.
People who write on these kind of forum already have computer science background in some way so they already try to search on the internet Laugh
(2021-12-19, 12:07)DarrenHill Wrote: Thread moved to other support as it has nothing to do with iOS or tvOS.
I just assumed tvOS was just a general name for television's OS. Never heard of tvOS in my life Tongue.
Thank you.
(2021-12-19, 13:04)NathanDrake Wrote: TV's manual has little to none information about this issue and the version I'm talking about is too recent.

Well, that doesn't give us much grip on your "new smart tv with the LG WebOS 6". Without any name or numbers, or references to a manual, it all stops for us here.
(2021-12-19, 13:09)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-12-19, 13:04)NathanDrake Wrote: TV's manual has little to none information about this issue and the version I'm talking about is too recent.

Well, that doesn't give us much grip on your "new smart tv with the LG WebOS 6". Without any name or numbers, or references to a manual, it all stops for us here.
I don't see why the name or number of my television could help you. It's a software problem. The LG WebOS is the OS. If someone has a Dropbox problem on Windows you ask for the name of the computer? Rofl
Anyway, if you want to know it's an LG nano 75.
I just said in my first post that I already knew this wasn't the best place to ask for help but MAYBE someone had the same problem with Kodi and WebOS 6. I already knew it all stopped here for you Smile .
Is there a reason why you can't just use an HDMI cable and use Kodi how it was intended, as a media player app? The playback would be handled by the Pi, with the screen output (ie what you're playing) send via the cable to the TV.

Using Kodi as a UPNP server is a bit of a strange thing to do, and isn't really what it's designed for (although it can do it). There are probably better solutions out there for being a UPNP/DLNA server than Kodi, for example miniDLNA.

Oh and for background, tvOS is the OS for Apple TV devices (it's a variant on iOS used on other mobile Apple devices), hence why the other forum is iOS & tvOS.
And before you ask, there isn't a version of Kodi for WebOS.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-12-19, 13:27)DarrenHill Wrote: Is there a reason why you can't just use an HDMI cable and use Kodi how it was intended, as a media player app? The playback would be handled by the Pi, with the screen output (ie what you're playing) send via the cable to the TV.

Using Kodi as a UPNP server is a bit of a strange thing to do, and isn't really what it's designed for (although it can do it). There are probably better solutions out there for being a UPNP/DLNA server than Kodi, for example miniDLNA.

Oh and for background, tvOS is the OS for Apple TV devices (it's a variant on iOS used on other mobile Apple devices), hence why the other forum is iOS & tvOS.
And before you ask, there isn't a version of Kodi for WebOS.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot directly connect my raspberry to the TV through the HDMI because they're not close to each other.
MiniDLNA could be a good idea (thank you!) but if my TV doesn't "see" the Kodi built-in DLNA I don't know if miniDLNA could work at all at this point..
Thanks, I did a quick search after you moved the post and I find out the reason why you did that. I really never heard of tvOS in my life Rofl.
I know there is no Kodi for WebOS. I did an extensive research to find a solution to this problem before posting here. That is why this seems "strange" to you.

The situation is this: I have a raspberry pi, with Kodi, in a room with a television (and it has to stay there) and a tv in another room (the one I'm talking about in this thread). I just wanted to share the contents of my library to this latter tv. The simple solution could be the use of a chromecast/roku/fire stick. But since I already have a TV and a Kodi that both support the DLNA protocol it seemed to me a waste of money and time to use another tool.
It's a little strange as it's not really using Kodi how it was intended to be done. It's like buying a muscle car and using it to go to the shops Wink

That said it should work - all I can think of is that you have not set Kodi up correctly to share itself as a UPNP source.

Check under settings > services > upnp/dlna that you have the support enabled, and that you have sharing of the libraries also enabled.

Also note that as you can see there, you can only share stuff that has been included in the libraries (ie scraped in), and not just stuff that is connected and used via the files view (ie direct access).

Kodi Blog Posts
miniDLNA works when i stream films from my NAS with OMV6 to my 2020 LG OLED65CX using the "Photo and Video" app om my tv, webOS 6 might use some other app, probably something like Media server or similar.
(2021-12-19, 14:27)DarrenHill Wrote: It's a little strange as it's not really using Kodi how it was intended to be done. It's like buying a muscle car and using it to go to the shops Wink

That said it should work - all I can think of is that you have not set Kodi up correctly to share itself as a UPNP source.

Check under settings > services > upnp/dlna that you have the support enabled, and that you have sharing of the libraries also enabled.

Also note that as you can see there, you can only share stuff that has been included in the libraries (ie scraped in), and not just stuff that is connected and used via the files view (ie direct access).

I already checked everything and it doesn't seem to work. I'll have to find some other solution, maybe with chromecast/roku/fire stick.
(2021-12-19, 14:31)MatteN Wrote: miniDLNA works when i stream films from my NAS with OMV6 to my 2020 LG OLED65CX using the "Photo and Video" app om my tv, webOS 6 might use some other app, probably something like Media server or similar.

If you have an LG OLED you should also have WebOS 6? Am I right? The "Photo and Video" app has been replaced with "Media Player". Can you explain a little bit more?
Its just the 2021 models that have webOS 6.
(2021-12-19, 15:41)MatteN Wrote: Its just the 2021 models that have webOS 6.

Oh ok.. so it's not possible for me I suppose, because I don't have any "Photo and Video" app. Thanks.

Then I'm afraid that, at this moment, there are no viable native solutions..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LG WebOS 6 and Kodi0