Updates overwrite my menu configuration
Hi,

we briefly talked about this in another thread, but since this is a different issue: Updating Copacetic still resets/overwrites my custom menu configuration. The main menu as well as the power menu get reset to the default values and I have to reconfigure them each time I perform an update. All other settings remain unchanged. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you debug this.

Thank you for all the work you put into this skin...
(2024-04-25, 22:36)AllesMeins Wrote: Hi,

we briefly talked about this in another thread, but since this is a different issue: Updating Copacetic still resets/overwrites my custom menu configuration. The main menu as well as the power menu get reset to the default values and I have to reconfigure them each time I perform an update. All other settings remain unchanged. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you debug this.

Thank you for all the work you put into this skin...
Sorry about this, it's very strange, is anyone else having this problem?

Copacetic uses script.skinshortcuts for menus and it uses a separate configuration from other skins. So any customisations you make to your menus within copacetic are saved in this file. addons/skin.copacetic/16x9/script-skinshortcuts-includes.xml 

If that file is deleted then it will fall back to the defaults. But I can't see anything that would indicate it's being overwritten, as this file is not included in the skin.copacetic files for Nexus or Omega on either the official repo or my repo, I just double checked. 

As an interim solution you can back up this file then if it happens again, pasting the backup back into the 16x9 folder to overwrite the new version should ensure you keep your changes. I'll try and get to the bottom of why it might be happening.
I just did some testing since I had a complete backup of my .kodi folder available. So I could revert the update and do it again multiple times. After a few tries I think I figured out the problem: It seems like the addon process is completely removing the addons/skin.copacetic/ folder before extracting the newer version (I added some empty test files into the folder and after the update they were all gone). I don't know if this is a common behavior with addon updates or if there is something special to my configuration. But of cause this explains why my menu configuration gets replaced with the default one even if you don't include the file into your addon.

Is there a way to move the script-skinshortcuts-includes.xml to userdata/addon_data/skin.copacetic/ - this seems to me to be the proper place for a configuration file (this is also where the other copacetic settings are stored) and it would probably also allow copacetic to work on a multi-user-system?
Maybe the reason it's getting deleted is precisely because it's not included by default, otherwise we'd have heard of this problem before now as skin shortcuts has been used in many skins for years now.
Yeah, clearing out an addons folder before updating makes kind of sense - otherwise old files that are no longer used in an updated version would stick around forever. But that leaves the question: if it gets removed if it's not included and gets replaced if you include it: how do you make the configuration stick? How do other skins do it? Do you know another skin that uses skin shortcuts from the top of your head? Than I'll test how that behaves on my system.
(2024-04-27, 08:58)AllesMeins Wrote: Yeah, clearing out an addons folder before updating makes kind of sense - otherwise old files that are no longer used in an updated version would stick around forever. But that leaves the question: if it gets removed if it's not included and gets replaced if you include it: how do you make the configuration stick? How do other skins do it? Do you know another skin that uses skin shortcuts from the top of your head? Than I'll test how that behaves on my system.

Hi Aeon Nox Silvo uses it and should be available in the Kodi repo. You can see that the file is not included if you look here:  https://github.com/xbmc/repo-skins/tree/...silvo/16x9

If you have the same issue when using this skin, it might be a skin shortcuts or platform issue?
(2024-04-27, 00:01)Hitcher Wrote: Maybe the reason it's getting deleted is precisely because it's not included by default, otherwise we'd have heard of this problem before now as skin shortcuts has been used in many skins for years now.
I'm pretty sure other skins using skinshortcuts don't include this file either - I checked these ones for example:

https://github.com/xbmc/repo-skins/tree/...silvo/16x9
https://github.com/jurialmunkey/skin.arc...409f/1080i
(2024-04-29, 17:20)realcopacetic Wrote: I'm pretty sure other skins using skinshortcuts don't include this file either
OK, that rules that out then.
(2024-04-27, 08:58)AllesMeins Wrote: Yeah, clearing out an addons folder before updating makes kind of sense - otherwise old files that are no longer used in an updated version would stick around forever. But that leaves the question: if it gets removed if it's not included and gets replaced if you include it: how do you make the configuration stick? How do other skins do it? Do you know another skin that uses skin shortcuts from the top of your head? Than I'll test how that behaves on my system.
When you make changes to the menu, you should see some files created in your 

userdata/addon_data/script.skinshortcuts folder called:

skin.copacetic-mainmenu.DATA.xml
skin.copacetic-shutdownmenu.DATA.xml

These should contain the shortcuts you create and then I think these are used by the script to create that other file script.skinshortcuts-includes.xml, so even if you delete the Copacetic addon folder, it shouldn't affect the menus as these files are in the userdata location. 

Can you try updating skin.shortcuts if you're not on the newest version? To get to it you will need to go settings > system > add-ons > Manage dependencies
You can try disabling the share menu between skins settings in Skin Shortcuts, in case Copecetic isn't already doing that or the script is ignoring it for some reason. Also, turn on Skin Shortcuts debugging to see what is happening after an update.

Skin Shortcuts is in System Settings > Manage dependencies.

I think I figured out what is happening, although I'm still not sure why this is a problem. It seems like my Kodi is jumping between repositorys pulling the update either from realcopacetic's repo or from the official repo. And somehow this leads to all the files getting purged. I did some testing and forced the update from the same repo and this seems to work fine. I'll have to observe it some more (espacially because I don't understand why it is switching repos in the first place) but for now with doing the updates manually I hope I'll be fine. I'll let you know if there are any problems when you push the next regular update. Thank you all for trying to help me!
(2024-04-30, 23:16)AllesMeins Wrote: I think I figured out what is happening, although I'm still not sure why this is a problem. It seems like my Kodi is jumping between repositorys pulling the update either from realcopacetic's repo or from the official repo. And somehow this leads to all the files getting purged. I did some testing and forced the update from the same repo and this seems to work fine. I'll have to observe it some more (espacially because I don't understand why it is switching repos in the first place) but for now with doing the updates manually I hope I'll be fine. I'll let you know if there are any problems when you push the next regular update. Thank you all for trying to help me!

I might have seen this and not realised this was what happened actually, as my dev build updated after the version in the Kodi repo was updated. But in doing so it deleted my github files that were in the folder. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but probably the same behaviour you're seeing. It makes me think that Kodi sees the official repo version as newer even if the version number is the same as a third-party source? I'm not sure but usually my repo should always be a version or more ahead so hopefully this scenario shouldn't pop up too much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updates overwrite my menu configuration0