• 2(current)
[split] Kodi v21 "Omega" Stable Release - Issues Discussions
If you could try one again and gather the debug log (wiki) of the update it would be useful.
It looks like you may somehow be an edge case given the number of users who have already downloaded Omega (both RC and final) without issue, but if possible it's something that is worth investigation.

But without the logs, there isn't much we can do.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Hello!

I'm having trouble updating Kodi to v21 release from March nightly on Amazon Fire Cube 3rd gen. I've been using few Omega nightlies since last December and haven't had any problems installing newer version over older ones. Now, when I try to install release version of Omega, it just says app not installed, and when I start Kodi it's still on nightly (installed nightly date is 24.03.2024). I'm not sure if that's the reason, but when trying to install Omega release, it says new version is 21, while installed nightly has version 22.0-ALPHA1. I don't know why older version (which should still be Omega, since it's 15 days older than a release) has a higher version number.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Davor
Nightly builds are now v22.
At some point there will be Omega nightlies available as we work towards a 21.1 release, but it seems the switch hasn't been turned on yet. Once available they will be at https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android/arm/Omega/ or https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/androi...v8a/Omega/
(2024-04-07, 18:51)DarrenHill Wrote: If you could try one again and gather the debug log (wiki) of the update it would be useful.
It looks like you may somehow be an edge case given the number of users who have already downloaded Omega (both RC and final) without issue, but if possible it's something that is worth investigation.

Problem found and work around.

I tried to install and run the new Kodi using the -p portable and discovered that windows 11 would not allow the new Kodi to run do to a memory access violation.   This got me to thinking and I did a couple of tests, and I discovered the problem that is occurring.

Under Windows 11, Windows 12, and Windows 11 Beta, the new Kodi 21, during the migration is creating a memory violation access out of bounds error.  When this violation occurs, it ends up damaging both databases and causing Kodi to hang.  To get around this problem, you must run the install program as administrator.  Then when you run Kodi 21 for the first time, you also must run it as administrator.  This prevents the memory violation from occurring and allowing the migration to be completed without damaging the databases.  Once the migration is completed, you can just simply run Kodi as normal.

Someone may want to go through the migration process and figure out what is the memory violation.  Since running as administrator fixes it, it is probably a nonstandard permission command somewhere.
(2024-04-07, 23:54)Hitcher Wrote: Nightly builds are now v22.

Hello!

I understand that now they are v22, but this was almost a month ago, before v21 was officially released.

Is there a way to install v21 release without uninstalling nightly, and losing library and all the customisations I've made in the process?

Best regards,
Davor
(2024-04-08, 00:27)zacgates99 Wrote:
(2024-04-07, 18:51)DarrenHill Wrote: If you could try one again and gather the debug log (wiki) of the update it would be useful.

I tried to install and run the new Kodi using the -p portable and discovered that windows 11 would not allow the new Kodi to run do to a memory access violation.   This got me to thinking and I did a couple of tests, and I discovered the problem that is occurring.

Under Windows 11, Windows 12, and Windows 11 Beta, the new Kodi 21, during the migration is creating a memory violation access out of bounds error.  When this violation occurs, it ends up damaging both databases and causing Kodi to hang.  To get around this problem, you must run the install program as administrator.  Then when you run Kodi 21 for the first time, you also must run it as administrator.  This prevents the memory violation from occurring and allowing the migration to be completed without damaging the databases.  Once the migration is completed, you can just simply run Kodi as normal.

Someone may want to go through the migration process and figure out what is the memory violation.  Since running as administrator fixes it, it is probably a nonstandard permission command somewhere.

You've again ignored the request for the log. I'm sure what you've described is what you experienced, but I, and everyone else, didn't need to do anything out of the ordinary to install Kodi 21. You're expecting people to reverse engineer your unique setup based on the very incomplete information you've provided to solve a problem only you have. Ain't nobody got time for that.
(2024-04-07, 16:17)zacgates99 Wrote: Here is how to create the issues. 

--------Way #1------
On a windows PC (Windows 11) install nexus (20.5) and index at least 50 to 100 titles into movies and TV.  Close Kodi and go back into it.  Now set the skin to any skin other than the 3 that is in version 21.  Close Kodi and reopen again.  Start and stop a video. Close Kodi.

Now upgrade to version 21. Open Kodi and you'll get a message that the skin and other add-ons have been deactivated. After that screen is cleared and the migration starts is where it hangs.  If you go into the task manager, it shows that Kodi is using 0% of the CPU and is not responding.

OK I tried to follow "way #1", but on Windows 10.  You don't indicate if you installed 20.5 Windows x64, x86, or UWP versions.  I assume x64 and that's what I did.  I then added a movie source and did a scan (assume that's what you mean by "index") and then a TV Show source and scan (assume that is what you mean by "TV" -- not live TV or recorded TV).  Closed and opened then Installed skin "Amber".  Closed and opened and played a movie in Amber.  Closed and installed Kodi 21 x64 using defaults during install.  Kodi started.

"Open Kodi and you'll get a message that the skin and other add-ons have been deactivated. After that screen is cleared and the migration starts is where it hangs."

No.  Didn't see this.  Migration started with the splash screen showing.  I did not see the message about amber until migration completed and Estuary skin loaded (this must be the case as you need a skin loaded in order to show a dialog window.

So I then installed Arctic Zepher reloaded from Kodi repo, allowed Kodi to switch skins and see this:

So, can't recreate.

scott s.
(2024-04-08, 03:43)crawfish Wrote:
(2024-04-08, 00:27)zacgates99 Wrote:

You've again ignored the request for the log. I'm sure what you've described is what you experienced, but I, and everyone else, didn't need to do anything out of the ordinary to install Kodi 21. You're expecting people to reverse engineer your unique setup based on the very incomplete information you've provided to solve a problem only you have. Ain't nobody got time for that.
If you want to be rude. Be rude.  So don't expect help from me when people like you are down right RUDE!
(2024-04-08, 03:22)davorf Wrote:
(2024-04-07, 23:54)Hitcher Wrote: Nightly builds are now v22.

Hello!

I understand that now they are v22, but this was almost a month ago, before v21 was officially released.

Is there a way to install v21 release without uninstalling nightly, and losing library and all the customisations I've made in the process?

Best regards,
Davor
At this point there aren't many changes to v22.  Just install v21.0 on top of your nightly and you should be OK.  If on windows, install v21.0 to a new folder and run in portable mode using the -p switch on a desktop shortcut.  Run Kodi using the shortcut and exit.  Then copy everything from the nightly that's in your kodi appdata\roaming\kodi to the "portable_data" subfolder in the "Kodi" folder you just created and you should have Kodi 21.0 running with all your data from the nightly, but neither interfering with each other.

scott s.
With V21 I am seeing hangs on Kodi profile switching - i.e. profile log out.

Sounds very much like this - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=374045 - except not Android, this is CoreElec (so Linux).  And am not using SMB (am using NFS).  So my guess is there are further race conditions either to do with NFS, or (just as likely) with the web-socket server as I run a second screen that uses web-sockets for communication (https://github.com/bossanova808/kodi.ozw...2nd.screen).

(After the profile logout hang, I reboot, and then often experience a hang on profile log in, something I have seen with stale web-socket connection issues (I need to reload the second screen to get it to refresh the connection) -> so I'm leaning towards websockets being the cause...)

I recognise I need to do some digging and debug logs etc, but am not at home and just wanted to get a report out to see if others are seeing such things too.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2024-04-08, 03:49)zacgates99 Wrote:
(2024-04-08, 03:43)crawfish Wrote:
(2024-04-08, 00:27)zacgates99 Wrote: Problem found and work around.

If you want to be rude. Be rude.  So don't expect help from me when people like you are down right RUDE!

Every line of my post was written to help you. Thanks for confirming you're not a serious poster. It saves time.
(2024-04-08, 03:49)scott967 Wrote:
(2024-04-07, 16:17)zacgates99 Wrote: Here is how to create the issues. 

--------Way #1------
On a windows PC (Windows 11) install nexus (20.5) and index at least 50 to 100 titles into movies and TV.  Close Kodi and go back into it.  Now set the skin to any skin other than the 3 that is in version 21.  Close Kodi and reopen again.  Start and stop a video. Close Kodi.

Now upgrade to version 21. Open Kodi and you'll get a message that the skin and other add-ons have been deactivated. After that screen is cleared and the migration starts is where it hangs.  If you go into the task manager, it shows that Kodi is using 0% of the CPU and is not responding.

OK I tried to follow "way #1", but on Windows 10.  You don't indicate if you installed 20.5 Windows x64, x86, or UWP versions.  I assume x64 and that's what I did.  I then added a movie source and did a scan (assume that's what you mean by "index") and then a TV Show source and scan (assume that is what you mean by "TV" -- not live TV or recorded TV).  Closed and opened then Installed skin "Amber".  Closed and opened and played a movie in Amber.  Closed and installed Kodi 21 x64 using defaults during install.  Kodi started.

"Open Kodi and you'll get a message that the skin and other add-ons have been deactivated. After that screen is cleared and the migration starts is where it hangs."

No.  Didn't see this.  Migration started with the splash screen showing.  I did not see the message about amber until migration completed and Estuary skin loaded (this must be the case as you need a skin loaded in order to show a dialog window.

So I then installed Arctic Zepher reloaded from Kodi repo, allowed Kodi to switch skins and see this:

So, can't recreate.

scott s.
Scott, There is another post with what caused the issue on my machines. Might want to read it.  It has to do with a memory violation in windows that cause Kodi, not to perform correctly.  If you have Windows 11, 12 or 11 Beta, you may have gotten what I was getting.  If you read one of my posts, I talked about Arctic Zepher displaying the line right above where the menu goes like it is in your image.  So, the skin was loading, just not displaying correctly because of the memory violation.
(2024-04-08, 04:05)crawfish Wrote:
(2024-04-08, 03:49)zacgates99 Wrote:
(2024-04-08, 03:43)crawfish Wrote: You've again ignored the request for the log. I'm sure what you've described is what you experienced, but I, and everyone else, didn't need to do anything out of the ordinary to install Kodi 21. You're expecting people to reverse engineer your unique setup based on the very incomplete information you've provided to solve a problem only you have. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Every line of my post was written to help you. Thanks for confirming you're not a serious poster. It saves time.
Like I said be rude all you want nothing in your post was helpful.  Your post just proves your a troll.  

Secondly not everyone can post logs off their systems for various reasons which I won't go into details with a troll.  So just leave me alone and I will work within my limits I can do with the Kodi staff.  If they want to know why I can't I will be happy to explain things to them just not to a rude troll.
Mods, is there a "block poster" feature I can't seem to find?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Kodi v21 "Omega" Stable Release - Issues Discussions0