• 3(current)
WIP Arctic Horizon
I don't know if this falls under the purview of what skinners handle, but one thing that was glaringly missing in AZ2 and all the others skins I've encountered is a well-functioning, quickly responsive 'Continue Watching' widget. It's exceedingly odd to me that with all this program and it's faithful freelancers are able to accomplish, this relatively simple feature -- ubiquitous on all other streaming platforms -- has remained illusive.  

I don't know exactly what the technical details would entail, but it seems plausible that someone could draft a widget that displays, for each tv series with at least one watched or partially watched episode, either: the current in progress episode, or when none exists, the next episode after the most recently watched episode.

@jurialmunkey the calibre of the design in your skins deserves a user experience commensurate with it.  Users should be able to, like netflix, load Kodi and quickly 'Continue Watching' their series in a way that frictionlessly queues the relevant episodes.  Anyways, this skin looks great as always, and I'll stop rambling now.  I just figured the early stages of development for a new skin would likely be the best time to bring this up.
(2020-02-18, 10:29)ntilikp Wrote: I don't know if this falls under the purview of what skinners handle, but one thing that was glaringly missing in AZ2 and all the others skins I've encountered is a well-functioning, quickly responsive 'Continue Watching' widget. It's exceedingly odd to me that with all this program and it's faithful freelancers are able to accomplish, this relatively simple feature -- ubiquitous on all other streaming platforms -- has remained illusive.  

I don't know exactly what the technical details would entail, but it seems plausible that someone could draft a widget that displays, for each tv series with at least one watched or partially watched episode, either: the current in progress episode, or when none exists, the next episode after the most recently watched episode.

@jurialmunkey the calibre of the design in your skins deserves a user experience commensurate with it.  Users should be able to, like netflix, load Kodi and quickly 'Continue Watching' their series in a way that frictionlessly queues the relevant episodes.  Anyways, this skin looks great as always, and I'll stop rambling now.  I just figured the early stages of development for a new skin would likely be the best time to bring this up.

A lot of skins contain continue watching, it depends if the developer has included a function for it, but you can download the whats next add on.

Titan Bingie will ask you if you want to watch the credits and it will give you a countdown before it plays the next episode. You can select the timer to make it jump to the next episode.

You are asking for something that is already done.
(2020-02-18, 10:29)ntilikp Wrote: I don't know if this falls under the purview of what skinners handle, but one thing that was glaringly missing in AZ2 and all the others skins I've encountered is a well-functioning, quickly responsive 'Continue Watching' widget. It's exceedingly odd to me that with all this program and it's faithful freelancers are able to accomplish, this relatively simple feature -- ubiquitous on all other streaming platforms -- has remained illusive.  

TMDBHelper links with Trakt account to provide this feature in the "Your Next Episodes" tv list.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
(2020-02-18, 07:26)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2020-02-18, 04:47)drinfernoo Wrote:
(2020-02-18, 02:38)jurialmunkey Wrote: Maybe less minimalist in terms of colour and shadow depth, but in many other respects it is even more minimalistic in that screen furniture is reduced to emphasise focus on content (eg no codec info, countries, studios, clearlogos, heading etc on screen edges).

Widget aspects are the ones shown - poster, landscape, square, banner. These are consistent throughout the skin. Idea is for consistency between home screen and other parts of the library.

Infinite vertical scroll is sadly something that I don't think is achievable (as much as I would like it to be)

Icons at the top are available through out the skin. These are quicklinks to: open home menu as sideblade, open submenu hub; search function (same as AZ2 search); favourites; power menu.

Do you intend on continuing development on AZ2 in a meaningful way? I really enjoy the look so far, but a few things you mentioned above might just end up being deal-breakers for me Sad
What things are deal breakers and for what reason?

Honestly, I'm probably jumping to conclusions too quickly, since we've only seen a few screenshots so far Big Grin However, I think my biggest miss would be all the extra "furniture", especially Clearlogos. It appears that you're leaning more towards Clearart, which can look great (and I really like what it looks like so far), but in my experience, tend to be less consistent in their sizing and quality.

Also, while I really dig the icons up top, I feel like they would be really great if you could edit them, like a sort of "persistent" set of submenu-like shortcuts.

Overall, I'm really excited for a splash more color, and the views mostly look really nice. I'm also particularly looking forward to whatever this is Big Grin In any case, I'm sure any other qualms I have now will be squelched once I can check it out in person!
(2020-02-18, 11:00)Video Titles Wrote:

A lot of skins contain continue watching, it depends if the developer has included a function for it, but you can download the whats next add on.

Titan Bingie will ask you if you want to watch the credits and it will give you a countdown before it plays the next episode. You can select the timer to make it jump to the next episode.

You are asking for something that is already done.  
Bingie uses skin helper service widget for its continue watching function, which is so bloated that it takes longer to load than manually navigating to the episode yourself, and is being phased out by a lot of skinners.  By What's Next I assume you mean Up Next, in which case this only prompts the next episode after you've watched one, and doesn't populate a widget so the next episode is available when you open Kodi.  I realize what I'm asking for seems like it exists but I haven't found it.
(2020-02-18, 13:39)jurialmunkey Wrote:

TMDBHelper links with Trakt account to provide this feature in the "Your Next Episodes" tv list.   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that widget queue episodes of different shows together in one playlist? I'm asking about one that would continue sequentially watching the tv show I first selected.  

I think I'm not making myself clear so I'll post my current setup, which is the closest approximate I could get to what I mean: Image

So the top 'Recently Played' widget quickly takes me into the episode list of the shows I've most recently watched, and I can continue watching from there.   What I'm asking is if a similar widget could be made so that the step to navigate through the episode list isn't necessary, and instead each recently played tv show is represented in the widget by its 'In Progress' episode, or its next episode after the last watched one.  When I click on an episode in the widget, it should continue to play that TV show just like if I'd navigated through the episode list.  

This is the way it works in Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, Hulu, Plex, etc.
@ntilikp So basically you want a Trakt "In Progress" Widget (which is the equivalent of the Plex "On Deck" feature).
(2020-02-18, 19:37)ntilikp Wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that widget queue episodes of different shows together in one playlist? I'm asking about one that would continue sequentially watching the tv show I first selected.  

I think I'm not making myself clear so I'll post my current setup, which is the closest approximate I could get to what I mean: Image

So the top 'Recently Played' widget quickly takes me into the episode list of the shows I've most recently watched, and I can continue watching from there.   What I'm asking is if a similar widget could be made so that the step to navigate through the episode list isn't necessary, and instead each recently played tv show is represented in the widget by its 'In Progress' episode, or its next episode after the last watched one.  When I click on an episode in the widget, it should continue to play that TV show just like if I'd navigated through the episode list.  

@ntilikp, have you looked at @sualfred 's script.embuary.helper script? I think it has a "next up" episode function that is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Bart
(2020-02-18, 20:48)bsoriano Wrote:
(2020-02-18, 13:39)jurialmunkey Wrote: TMDBHelper links with Trakt account to provide this feature in the "Your Next Episodes" tv list.    

@ntilikp, have you looked at @sualfred 's script.embuary.helper script? I think it has a "next up" episode function that is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Bart 
Thanks for this info! I'll look into it

Spoke too soon, my b
Please keep the studios name for TV shows.. I always found this feature pretty neat and useful🙏

I haven't pursued it enough to get further than in your screenshot, but I was able to achieve basically what you have using a single Smart Playlist. However, I'm pretty sure the effect you're looking for should be able to be achieved by combining playlists...

I believe you can also use LazyTV for this, but I'm not sure what exactly what the list it makes looks like.
Genres View

Countries View
(2020-02-18, 18:29)drinfernoo Wrote:
(2020-02-18, 07:26)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2020-02-18, 04:47)drinfernoo Wrote: Do you intend on continuing development on AZ2 in a meaningful way? I really enjoy the look so far, but a few things you mentioned above might just end up being deal-breakers for me Sad
What things are deal breakers and for what reason?

Honestly, I'm probably jumping to conclusions too quickly, since we've only seen a few screenshots so far Big Grin However, I think my biggest miss would be all the extra "furniture", especially Clearlogos. It appears that you're leaning more towards Clearart, which can look great (and I really like what it looks like so far), but in my experience, tend to be less consistent in their sizing and quality.

Also, while I really dig the icons up top, I feel like they would be really great if you could edit them, like a sort of "persistent" set of submenu-like shortcuts.

Overall, I'm really excited for a splash more color, and the views mostly look really nice. I'm also particularly looking forward to whatever this is Big Grin In any case, I'm sure any other qualms I have now will be squelched once I can check it out in person!

Honestly I have just as much difficulty with clearlogos as I do with clearart - at least with clearart there is usually a fairly consistent edge on the bottom and right.

What I'd really love is full sized fanart that is specifically orientated to one side -- so mainly blank space on one side with detail on the other. That would give so many design choices.

The icons up top are definitely editable - that's just the default layout. The idea though is that they are throughout the whole skin as global shortcuts, so I've specifically chosen defaults that are always relevant (I might drop either favourites or power from the defaults, as I feel like 5 icons is a bit too much - 4 seems to be the sweet spot).
As you know yourself, artwork is very hit and miss at the best of times. A lot of movies have zero artwork if they are old or unknown movies. The latest movies will 9/10 always have artwork but this is never worth counting on so you are never going to be 100% on those kind of graphics, I fail to see why people include banner view, logo view as a lot of times you are missing a lot of the artwork and it looks silly.

As for the default icons, I would personally say keep the favourites and get rid of the power icon. If you have children or similar, you really do not want them accessing the power section and shutting the thing down by accident etc. I always remove this from any skin that I am using and just use the short cut to the power menu. A person is more likely to use favourites to either watch movies that they want to watch in the future, or if you are like me, I have a list of movies that I have watched thousands of times before, so for example Die Hard 3, I put that on as background noise until I fall asleep.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arctic Horizon7