How to access Kodi/SERIES-X f.system to send/rec'v files
Information 
Dear all,
Quick question,
I'm trying to chuck a few zip files (add-ons) over the LAN to my SeriesX Kodi install.

On my android phone:
I use X-plore app generally to navigate my LAN. (no decent computer at the moment).

I notice (for years) there has been SFTP support (addon) in Kodi, which I have enabled. But I have trouble with this method. (It is ENABLED under Virtual Filesystems on my Kodi).

In X-plore app (android), you can add a new server. I add the IP of seriesX, user kodi, pass Kodi. Set the protocol to SFTP.
but it fails to connect. (not sure if I need to add a port detail after the IP?) - is this the reason it's failing to connect?

I notice there are also SSH functions in X-Plore (I used to use this to connect to my jailbroken iPad), however I'm aware that SSH is a much deeper "root'y" method of access and I don't the UWP Kodi for SeriesX app would allow that.

Anyway, just trying to chuck files directly from phone to seriesX Kodi over the LAN. .. anyone recommend best method ?

Thanks VM.
kodi is not a SSH (sftp) server, just a client.
The easiest way to copy over stuff is to mount a samba or nfs share, but also running a basic web or ftp server on any machine on the lan should work
Ok that makes sense-
I could run an FTP server on the android phone (thru X-Plore), create a source through SeriesX Kodi file manager, and dive into the phone to grab stuff over to the X

I guess that should work.
The best method to chuck files directly from phone to SeriesX Kodi over the LAN is to use SMB.
To do this, you will need to enable SMB sharing on your SeriesX Kodi install and then connect to it from your Android phone using an SMB client such as X-plore.
To enable SMB sharing on your SeriesX Kodi install:
Go to Settings > Services > SMB.
Check the Enable SMB server box. You can also change the Workgroup name and Server name if you want. Leave it blank.
Click OK to save your changes.

To connect to your SeriesX Kodi install from your Android phone using X-plore:
Open X-plore.
Tap on the + button in the top-right corner and select Add server.
Select SMB from the list of protocols.
In the Server address field, enter the IP address of your SeriesX.
In the Workgroup field, enter the workgroup name that you specified in step 2.
In the Username field, enter kodi.
In the Password field, enter Kodi.
Tap on the Add button to connect to your SeriesX Kodi install. You should now see a list of the folders on your SeriesX Kodi install.
To copy files from your phone to your SeriesX Kodi install:
Navigate to the folder on your phone where the files are located.
Long-press on the files that you want to copy and select Copy.
Navigate to the folder on your SeriesX Kodi install where you want to copy the files.
Tap on the Paste button to copy the files.
Hi there,

Just checking back in on my threads..
Thanks for the detailed guide

I was (thankfully) aware of running the SMB client on the kodi install.

However, I don’t see any options for SMB enabling in Services as you would expect.

I’m using kodi 20.2. On series x.

I was aware of it I think as I’ve been down this road troubleshooting before.

I noticed that it can be enabled as a service from going to Add-ons > Virtual Filesystems
however all I can do here is enable/disable. There are no prompts for setting a Workgroup detail, it’s either on or off.

I have no reason to doubt that the service is running (there’s no errors, and it literally states ‘enabled’ in kodi).
But following the steps in part2, in ‘x-Plore’ on android, it just times out. —-any need for a port detail perhaps? Ie. 192.168.1.76:x ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to access Kodi/SERIES-X f.system to send/rec'v files0